Saturday, July 26, 2014

July 2014: Sarah hitch hikes across the country with a sick dog and marries her off.

Meet Sandy! Sandy-the world. The world-Sandy.
Sandy, when she first started coming over.
Sandy's story is a compelling tale of miracles and human kindness. I came upon Sandy when I was trying to revive a puppy that belonged to one of the teachers at my school. The puppy was Sandy's, the last living puppy of her litter. Like most dogs in Botswana both Sandy and her puppy had been neglected. Unfortunately, the puppy died of "tick fever."

Having realized I was a friend, Sandy started visiting me at my house. The nutrient demands of lactation combined with the fact that her owner didn't feed her had left Sandy emaciated and frail. I couldn't help but give her my leftovers, which she gobbled down without complaint. Eventually, I started cooking for her: lentils, meat, spam. She loved it all. After a month, Sandy abandoned her owner and moved into my yard!

By this time, I had started hitch hiking to the next village over to buy her real dog food. She was gaining weight and had enough energy to play with the other neighborhood dogs! One morning I woke up and Sandy's insides were hanging out. I had no idea what was wrong. A prolapsed uterus maybe? Was her uterus just going to fall out of her body at any time? In a panic, I packed up my tent, some clothes and Sandy's belongings, and with Sandy in my arms, I headed to the village hitch hiking spot. 10 hours later a very nice truck driver dropped Sandy and I in Gaborone, where an emergency veterinarian picked us up.

Sandy ALWAYS finds the most comfortable spot in the house.
Dr. Mike diagnosed Sandy with a venereal tumor, something he had seen hundreds of times in Botswana. He was confident that it would resolve with four weekly doses of chemotherapy administered IV (given by me.) Sandy stayed overnight in the hospital and I stayed with a friend-of-a-friend who took me in, sight unseen. The next morning, I picked up Sandy and we made the tiring 8 hour trip back to the village. The animal angel who housed me, a lovely lady named Sheilagh, generously offered to pay for Sandy's chemo treatment.
After taking her ALL the way to the capital, I decided that the time had come for Sandy to become an inside dog. I told her original owner that because I was taking care of her, paying for her treatment, etc. that she belonged to me now. Bottom line: she's mine. I bathed Sandy to remove any ticks I hadn't picked off and she became my new snuggle buddy. I walked her three times a day and she quickly adjusted to indoor life. 

When the time came to administer her chemo, I was confident that I could do it. I'd worked in many vet clinics, had drawn blood, and assisted in surgery. I was confused. Apparently dogs don't enjoy being stuck with needles and Sandy, though extraspecial, was no different. I enlisted the help of some very nice nurses from the local hospital (one a nurse anesthesiologist) but we failed to give her chemo. I came to the realization that Sandy needed a kind of care that I couldn't give her in the bush. She couldn't be cured by my love alone.

After a MAJOR FREAKOUT, Sandy and I hitch hiked again to the capital city. Seana, a Peace Corps Botswana staff member, took her in, offering to take her to her chemo appointments, have her spayed, and then vaccinate her. Talk about an Animal Angel. I said a sad "good bye" to Sandy knowing that she was in the best of hands. Sandy re-started her chemo and quickly became a best-friend to Seana's gardener, Thory. Thory allowed Sandy to sleep on his couch and hand-fed her chicken when she was sick after chemo. This is HIGHLY UNUSUAL for someone in Botswana, as they typically don't even let dogs inside the house. Thory is another special miracle that entered Sandy's story at just the right time.

Thory hand-feeding Sandy after her chemo appointment.
Sandy quickly adjusted to her new life with Seana and Thory. She was spoiled rotten with the best treats, toys, and her very own bed! Sandy finished her chemo, was spayed, and vaccinated!
Sandy loves clowning around!
When Seana had to go out of town, a PCV named Christina volunteered to house sit for her. Christina has a giant horse dog, Pula, who became fast friends with Sandy. Sandy now lives with Christina and Pula in a large house in Gaborone. Thanks to the kindness of all of the angels who have helped her, Sandy is FULLY RECOVERED! Her tumor is gone, she is healthy, and she is enjoying her new life with her best friend.
Sandy looks good!
Last week, me and some other volunteers decided that Sandy and Pula's romance needed to become official. We held Botswana's first dog wedding at Christina's house, complete with wedding outfits and a dog-friendly cake. 

The bride, groom, and the rest of the wedding party.
Pula, Meera (bridesmaid), and Sandy pose for wedding pictures.
The wedding "cake"

Despite everything she's been through, Sandy still has a smile on her face!
Lisa and Christina serving up the wedding cake!

The blushing bride.
The happy, exhausted couple!
Nothing better than a belly rub.
Me with Pula.
So what lies ahead for Sandy? Sandy loves her life with Christina and Pula but eventually she needs a forever home. If left in Botswana, Sandy will likely end up being the victim of another negligent, abusive owner. Sandy needs to go to the good ol' US of A! There are several people who are interested in adopting Sandy but it costs $1500 to send a dog from Botswana to America. And Sandy just refuses to get a job. I have created a gofundme page for her cause. Through the kindness of strangers, most of whom don't even know me or Sandy, we have raised $975! I have set the goal at $1500, an increase since I first listed the page, to accommodate all of the expenses that go into flying a dog home. The fundraising ends on September 1st (to allow me time to get the money to the person responsible for sending her to the US.) If you would like to contribute to her cause (and she'd be eternally grateful) please click on the link below. Every dollar counts!!

http://www.gofundme.com/ag907g

Sandy, miracle dog.
For those of you who have donated, we thank your from the bottom of our hearts. Sandy is truly a four-legged miracle!


No comments:

Post a Comment