Friday, January 10, 2014

NYE 2014: Some thoughts...

2014 starts in an hour. I can't wait. I love New Years. Not because of the parties and the booze and the kissing at midnight. Because on New Years day you can wake up and be that person that you wanted to be the year before but for some reason you couldn't quite manage. For most people, New Years is an exciting time, overflowing with the promise of positive change. We make resolutions to lose weight, take more time for ourselves, hone some virtue that we lack, etc. New Years is a catalyst. It's also an excuse. An excuse to postpone until later the hard work that we perceive would lead to happiness. A pass to procrastinate. How many years in a row have I told myself, "If I lost 5 pounds, I'd look so much better in my Christmas photos. Oh well, I'll join a gym after New Years." And then after my New Years resolutions fail, I give up until the next year. "Well, it's March and I haven't done anything. Guess I'll have to wait until next year."

We don't realize that every single day holds the potential of new beginnings. We just have to make the choice that tomorrow is going to be the day that we shed the habits that no longer serve us and start fresh. We don't need to wait around for a 1 in 365 day to do it. We are our own catalysts. So instead of making New Years Resolutions, let's make All Year Resolutions. And when we feel like we've made so much progress in our personal development and then we suffer through a week with our in-laws, leaving us feeling like we've taken two steps back, let's remind ourselves that everyday can be New Years Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment