Tuesday, December 4, 2012

19 Nov 12: Sarah Gets a New Address and RUNNING WATER!!

I promised everyone my new address so here it is:

Sarah Maduo Stewart, PCV

Tshane Primary School

P.O. Box 37

Tshane, Botswana

I just had the best experience of my life and I just have to share it with you. This morning me, my supervisor (Mma Cungudika) and my counterpart (Mma Motswakae) went to the next village over to sign the papers to have my water turned on. While we only spent 20 minutes at the water company, we waited for several hours for a ride back to Tshane. We arrived around 12:30, so I went home for lunch. Thankfully, I had no other obligations this afternoon because it was so freakin hot that all I could do was lay on the floor in my living room praying that the water people would come soon and turn on my water.

When I saw the truck pull up, I was so excited I about peed my pants. They turned a crank and BAM! Running water in my house! I spent the afternoon/early evening washing clothes, mopping the floor, and cooking my dinner (rice with a vegetable sauce.) Now for the exciting part:

Luxury!

I haven't had the luxury of soaking my body in water since September 10th, when I shaved my legs for the last time before coming to Africa. The bathing process here is anything but relaxing. With a bucket full of water and a cup, I wash myself. Nothing fun about it. I just had the pleasure of filling up a tub with cool-ish water and sitting in it. When I sat down in the tub, I literally gasped and said "Oh my God" out of sheer pleasure. I turned on some Sade on my computer and laid there for a good half hour. I have been fully drenched with sweat since I got up this morning and drinking warm water, so sitting in cool-ish water was the best thing I've experienced since coming to Africa! Even though I probably used up half the water supply in Tshane, I don't care! I'm going to make this an every night thing.




Surviving in the Kalahari is something that you have to take one day at a time. You have to grab the little things that give you pleasure and hold onto them! Now I'm going to sit under my mosquito net and eat my dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment